Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Friends And An Art Show

I recently had a lovely outing with two friends of mine. We went to an art show, and not just any old art show, but one which featured two paintings by my friend Karen as well as two by my art teacher Johanna.  It was my friend Clara's birthday celebration, and we wanted to do something special for her.

I don't know about you, but art never really claimed hold of me until the past number of years. I can't tell you why it was this way, I'm not sure I understand it myself, but I do know that with the passing years and with the joining of my art class, I have grown to appreciate deeply the wonder that art brings to an individuals life. Having a friend like Karen also helps. Karen is one of those special gifts people get in their lives; a person of warmth, exuberance, humor, joy, fun and a well spring of creativity. She's one of those lights that God gives us. I'm not putting her on a pedestal, we wouldn't want her head to get too big, but that's just who she is. Karen, Johanna, my friend Sara, my sister-in-law Bina, Tom, Kevin and many others, have taught me to find art in the every day, and to savor the beauty in little moments. Bina, my sister-in-law, told me that while on holiday, she makes it a practice to chase sunrises and sunsets. I thought, what a beautiful thing, and what a reminder of the blessing of a new day, and the thankfulness for a day well spent. What a reminder of the presence of God, as He paints the skies of dawn and dusk, that neither photography nor paintings have ever quite captured in richness or detail. Karen does the same. She revels in the beauty she finds in a bloom or reflection, or in something that captures her eye. The other day, hitching a ride back with her from music practice, she pointed out the sunset to her daughter Katie, and talked about the different colors in harmony within it. It was a moment to stop, pause, and wonder.

I've learned to look for the beauty in a snowflake or an icicle, and to hear the music in the pounding of a rain storm, and to watch the glistening pools of water adorn the streets outside my window. I've learned to see art. And it was with these new eyes that I accompanied my friends to my first art show. It was not a grand affair, but a warm and welcoming one, featured by the Art Council, and held in their library. There was photography, three dimensional artwork as well as paintings and drawings, and mixed media. There were sections for Beginners, Intermediates, Advanced and Masters. And it was a wonderful demonstration of the breadth and talent of our Alberta artists. We had so much fun there, taking it all in, marveling at the techniques and different mediums, and going back and looking closer at all the details we missed the first or second time through. My friend Tami even bought a piece, a beautiful depiction of our big Alberta skies, bordered, contrasted and showcased by a canola field in full bloom.  I was so proud of Karen and her pieces that were hung there for all to see. She is a wonderful artist and I hope to see more of her work hung in art galleries and shows. I love the way Karen uses color, and how her pieces come to life. The Lady Walking her Dog and the vivid red canvas featuring a branch with its delicate bloom, are so different from each other and yet equally appealing. She has so much fun with her art, that it is contagious. And Johanna's pieces were an excellent display of mixed media art. They were fun, creative, thoughtful and beautiful. The variety that was showcased was engaging and captivating. There was a papier mache Einstein that I wanted to take home with me, and a wistful pencil drawing of a little girl blowing a daffodil. There was a humming bird in flight and a folk painting featuring laundry and an outhouse. There was a wonderful watercolor of horses, and paintings that captured the character of rusted old cars. There was an incredible oil of a salt shaker, and a touching colored pencil drawing of a father and child. Then there was the incredible wire horse sculptures, and mixed media paintings using wax, which added unusual and attractive detail to already beautiful work.

Sharing this experience with friends made the evening even that much more lovely. Art I think, is meant to be shared. If you have a chance to go visit a gallery or an art show, take along some friends and enjoy the experience.

Jeenu :)

No comments:

Post a Comment